The Nikon D3200 is a great improvement over the D3100 providing more functionality for the video user. For photography, the D3200 also adds significantly more megapixels while maintaining image quality, and comes highly recommended for an entry level DSLR.
- 1. The Sensor
- Effective pixels: Approx. 24.2 megapixels
- Approx. 23.2 mm x 15.4 mm CMOS sensor
- DX (APS-C), 1.5x focal length multiplier
- 2. Compatible Lenses
- Nikon F bayonet mount
- AF-S Lens Required for Autofocus
- AF NIKKOR for F3AF not Supported.
- AF-S, AF-I: All Functions Supported.
- AI-P NIKKOR: All Functions Supported Except Autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II.
- Other AF NIKKOR: All Functions Supported Except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II.
- Type G or D AF NIKKOR: All Functions Supported Except Autofocus.
- Type D PC NIKKOR: All Functions Supported Except Autofocus and some Shooting Modes.
- 3. Autofocus
- 11 (3D-tracking) AF points
- Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); Continuous-servo AF (AF-C); auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A); predictive focus tracking activated automatically according to subject status; Manual focus (MF)
- 4. Video Features
- MOV (MPEG-4 AVC / H.264)
- Recording Size and (frame rate fps in parenthesis):
- 1920 x 1080 (24 fps /25 fps / 30 fps)
- 1280 x 720 (50 fps / 60 fps)
- 640 x 424 (25fps / 30 fps)
- Maximum Length of Continuous Video Recording: 20 mins
- 5. Image Features
- JPEG: JPEG-Baseline Compliant with fine (approx 1:4), Normal (approx 1:8) or Basic (approx 1:16) Compression
- NEF (RAW): Compressed 12 bit
- NEF (RAW) + JPEG: Single Photograph Recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG Formats
- 6. Performance
- High Speed Continuous Shooting: Maximum 4 shots/sec.
- 7. Exposure Control
Exposure Modes: auto; auto [flash off]; programmed auto with flexible program; shutter-priority auto; aperture-priority auto; manual;
- Scene Modes: portrait; landscape; child; sports; close up; night portrait;
- ISO 100-6400; Hi-1 (ISO 12,800)
- Shutter Speed: 1/4000 to 30 sec, bulb
- Flash X-sync at 1/200 sec.
- Picture Styles: Landscape, Monochrome, Neutral, Portrait, Standard, Vivid
- White Balance Settings: Auto, Cloudy, Direct Sunlight, Flash, Fluorescent (7 types), Incandescent, Preset Manual, Shade
- 8. Interface
- 3 inch TFT monitor
- USB Hi-Speed
- Audio input: Stereo 3.5 mm mini pin jack
- HDMI output: Type C mini pin
- Built in monoaural microphone
- Optional GPS with GP-1 (sold separately)
- Built in pop up flash
- 9. Power
- One EN-EL14a or EN-EL14 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
- Battery Life: 540 shots (CIPA)
- AC power optional with the EH-5b AC Adapter
- 10. Body
- SD card, SDHC and SDXC memory card compatible (1 card slot)
- Comes in black or red
- Viewfinder coverage: Vertical/Horizontal approx. 95%
5 in. (125 mm) x 3.8 in. (96 mm) x 3.1 in. (76.5 mm)
- Weight: 16 oz (455 g) (body only)
- 11. Price
- MSRP: $530
Nikon D3200 Performance Review:
The video below provides a concise review and performance testing:
Video review highlights:
- Similar in appearance to the previous D3100
- Not weather sealed
- Better resolution LCD screen
- Optional add on to allow wifi capability to transfer pictures and video and control your camera from your smartphone.
- Good image quality and the 24 megapixels allows you to crop, reframe photos without losing detail and resolution.
- ISO performance is similar to D3100. Comfortable shooting up to ISO 1600.
- Performs well with video
- Can do manual exposure adjustments in video.
- Autofocus could use some improvement.
- Microphone jack is helpful.
- You can also manually adjust your audio levels.
To purchase the D3200 or read more user reviews please support my site by clicking the button below:
Note: A review of the newer version (D3300) can be found here.