The Nikon D3100 is a very basic DSLR at the lower end of the DSLR price range. It has limited movie capabilities (only 10 minute record time and few movie frame size/rate options). It does have continuous auto focusing during movie mode, but the focusing performance is lacking. Save your money to get a more recent camera body.
- 1. The Sensor
- Effective pixels: Approx. 14.2 megapixels
- Approx. 23.1 mm x 15.4 mm CMOS sensor
- DX (APS-C), 1.5x focal length multiplier
- 2. Compatible Lenses
- Nikon F bayonet mount
- 3. Autofocus
- 11 (3D-tracking) AF points
- Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); Continuous-servo AF (AF-C); auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A); predictive focus tracking activated automatically according to subject status; Manual focus (MF)
- 4. Video Features
- MOV (MPEG-4 AVC / H.264)
- Recording Size and (frame rate fps in parenthesis):
- 1920 x 1080 (24 fps)
- 1280 x 720 (25 fps / 24 fps /30 fps)
- 640 x 424 (24 fps)
- Maximum Length of Continuous Video Recording: 10 mins
- 5. Image Features
- JPEG: JPEG-Baseline Compliant with fine (approx 1:4), Normal (approx 1:8) or Basic (approx 1:16) Compression
- NEF (RAW)
- NEF (RAW) + JPEG: Single Photograph Recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG Formats
- 6. Performance
- High Speed Continuous Shooting: Maximum 3 shots/sec.
- 7. Exposure Control
Exposure Modes: auto; auto [flash off]; programmed auto with flexible program; shutter-priority auto; aperture-priority auto; manual;
- Scene Modes: portrait; landscape; child; sports; close up; night portrait;
- ISO 100-32000
Hi-1 (ISO 6400)
Hi-2 (ISO 12,800)
- Shutter Speed: 1/4000 to 30 sec in 1/3 steps, bulb
- Flash X-sync at 1/200 sec.
- Picture Styles: Landscape, Monochrome, Neutral, Portrait, Standard, Vivid
- White Balance Settings: Auto, Cloudy, Direct Sunlight, Flash, Fluorescent (7 types), Incandescent, Preset Manual, Shade
- 8. Interface
- 3 inch TFT monitor
- USB Hi-Speed
- HDMI output: Type C mini pin
- Built in monoaural microphone
- Optional GPS with GP-1 (sold separately)
- Built in pop up flash
- 9. Power
- One EN-EL14a or EN-EL14 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
- Battery Life: 550 shots (CIPA)
- AC power optional with the EH-5a AC Adapter
- 10. Body
- SD card, SDHC and SDXC memory card compatible (1 card slot)
- Comes in black or red
- Viewfinder coverage: Vertical/Horizontal approx. 95%
4.9 in. (124.46 mm) x 3.8 in. (96.52 mm) x 2.9 in. (73.66 mm)
- Weight: 16 oz (455 g) (body only)
- 11. Price
- MSRP: $500
Nikon D3100 Performance Review:
Digital Rev provides easy to understand video review and sample shots and video taken with the D3100:
Video review highlights:
- One of the cheapest DSLRs but that does not mean the camera is of cheap quality
- Not bad sensor
- HD video capable
- Good number of auto focus points
- Includes Active D lighting which brings out details in dark areas and brings down the bright areas.
- Continuously focuses automatically when in video mode. But focusing can be slow, and the sound of the lens focusing is captures in the video’s audio.
- Can’t plug in an external microphone.
- Good enough for the beginner.
You can read more user reviews on the Amazon product page by clicking the button below: Or click here for a list of more recently released DSLRs.