With rapid fire shooting and fast auto focus speeds, the Canon EOS 1D X is the top of the line camera to get for sports photographers and anyone interested in taking quick movement photos. For videographers, you may want to check out the higher 1DC which features more video functions or the lower 5D Mark III, which has the equivalent video quality.
- 1. The Sensor
- Resolution: Approx. 19.3 megapixels
- Sensor Type: Approx. 36 mm x 24mm (35 mm Full-frame)
- Pixel Size: 6.95 microns square
- 2. Compatible Lenses
- Canon EF Lenses
- 3. Autofocus
- 61-point AF
- One to five cross-type AF points at f/2.8, 10 to 20 cross-type AF points at f/4, and 15 to 21 cross-type AF points at f/5.6. 1 cross-type AF point at f/8.* (Number of cross-type AF points depends on the lens.)
- AF Assist Beam: Emits an assist beam when an external EOS-dedicated Speedlite is attached to the camera.
- 4. Video Features
- MOV (Image data: H.264; Audio: Linear PCM)
- Recording Size and (frame rate in parenthesis):
- 1920 x 1080 (30 fps / 25 fps / 24 fps)
- 1280 x 720 (60 fps / 50 fps)
- 640 x 480 (30 fps / 25 fps)
- Maximum File Size per Video Clip: 4 GB
- Maximum Length of Continuous Video Recording: 29 minutes 59 seconds
- 5. Image Features
- Still Image: JPEG, RAW (14-bit Canon Original), M-RAW, S-RAW, RAW+JPEG, M-RAW+JPEG, S-RAW+JPEG
- (1) Large: Approx. 17.9 Megapixels (5184 x 3456)
(2) M1: Approx. 14.20 Megapixels (4608 x 3072)
(3) M2: Approx. 8.00 Megapixels (3456 x 2304)
(4) Small: Approx. 4.5 Megapixels (2592 x 1728)
(5) RAW: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5184 x 3456)
(6) M-RAW: Approx. 10.10 Megapixels (3888 x 2592)
(7) S-RAW: Approx. 4.50 Megapixels (2592 x 1728)
- 6. Performance
- Continuous Shooing Speed
- Super High-speed: Maximum 14 shots/sec.
- High-speed: Maximum 12 shots/sec.
- Low-speed: Maximum 3 shots/sec.
- Start up time: Approx. 0.1 sec
- Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processor
- Continuous Shooing Speed
- 7. Exposure Control
- Program AE (Shiftable), Shutter-priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, Manual exposure, Bulb, E-TTL II autoflash program AE
- ISO 100-51200 (in 1/3-stop or 1-stop increments)
Extension settable: ISO 50; 102,400 and 204,800
- 1/8000 to 30 sec., bulb, X-sync at 1/250 sec. (images), 1/4000 – 1/30 (movie mode), 1/4000 – 1/60 (movie mode at 50/60 fps)
- Picture Styles: Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
- White Balance Settings: Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten Light, White Fluorescent Light, Flash, Custom, Color Temperature setting
- Color Temperature Compensation (Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels, Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels)
- 8. Interface
- 3.2 inch TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor, Approx. 1.04 million dots, Approx. 100% coverage, Viewing angle: 170°
- 7 levels of manual LCD brightness adjustments
- Highlight alert: overexposed ares will blink for single image display
- USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
- Video Out Terminal:
- (1) Video OUT terminal: NTSC/PAL selectable
- (2) mini-HDMI OUT terminal
- Extension System Terminal: For connection to WFT-E6A (WFT) and GP-E1 (GPS)
- 9. Power
- One Battery Pack LP-E4N or LP-E4
- AC power optional with the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E4
- Battery charge time: 130 min (LP-E4N) or 120 min (LP-E4)
- Battery life with viewfinder shooting: 1120 shots at 23º/73ºF or 860 shots at 0º/32ºF
- Battery life with live view shooting: 290 shots at 23º/73ºF or 250 shots at 0º/32ºF
- Battery life of movie shooting: Approx 2 hr. 10 min at 23º/73ºF or 2 hours at 0º/32ºF
- 10. Body
- Two CF Card Slots (Type I or II) – Compatible with UDMA 7 CF cards. Option to record image to one card, auto switch cards when one card becomes full, record image to both cards but each in a different size, record the same image to both cards.
- Viewfinder coverage: Vertical/Horizontal approx. 100%
- Dimensions: Approx. 158 x 163.6 x 82.7 mm / 6.2 x 6.4 x 3.3 in.
- Weight: Approx. 1530 g / 54.0 oz.
- 11. Price
- MSRP: $6,799
- Current Price: Click to view current price
Canon 1DC Performance Review:
Digital Rev provides a creative review of the EOS 1DX in the form of an action movie:
In summary, the 1DX performs well in fast shooting situations. It has rapid fire continuous image shooting at 14 shots per second. Secondly, it has quick auto focus. Therefore, Digital Rev recommends this camera for sports shooters or people trying to capture erratic movement.
As for video quality, the 1DX is comparable to the Canon 5D Mark III. So if video will be your primary focus, it’s better to save your money and go with the 5D Mark III.
However, for still images, the 1DX performs better with better dynamic range and produces sharper images at higher ISO with more detail.
Intrigued by the 1DX? Then please help support this site and click on the button to purchase the 1DX or just to get more information and reviews on it:
To do a side by side comparison of the 1DX and other DSLR models, check out the DSLR Comparison Chart.